About Japan Media Arts Festival
The Japan Media Arts Festival is a comprehensive festival of Media Arts (Japanese: Media Geijutsu) that honors outstanding works from a diverse range of media—from animation and comics to media art and games. The festival gives awards in each of its four divisions: Art, Entertainment, Animation and Manga. It also provides a platform for appreciation of the award-winning and other notable works. Since its inception in 1997, the festival has recognized significant works of high artistry and creativity, and in addition to a yearly Exhibition of Award-winning Works has held other events, such as talks, screenings, and showcases. Last year, the 20th Festival received 4,034 entries from 88 countries and regions around the world, demonstrating its continuing evolution as an established annual international festival.
Award-winning Works are exhibited both within Japan and abroad through various projects and events organized by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan, which aims to promote the creation, development, understanding, awareness and appreciation of Media Arts.
About the latest festival
Tuesday, August 1 – Thursday, October 5, 2017 (18:00 Japan Standard Time)Call for Entries
Entries are sought in various disciplines of Media Arts including interactive art, video works, websites, games, animation and comics, and from professional, amateur, independent and commercial sources.
March, 2018Announcement of Award-winning Works
Tuesday, June 12, 2018Award Ceremony
Wednesday, June 13 - Sunday, June 24, 2018Exhibition of Award-winning Works
Call for Entries to the latest Japan Media Arts Festival
DivisionsThe Four Divisions (Art, Entertainment, Animation, Manga)
* Note that in all divisions professional, amateur, independent, and commercial works are eligible for submission.
- Japan Media Arts Festival awards are presented by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- Grand Prize: Certificate / Trophy / 600,000 Japanese Yen
- Excellence Award: Certificate / Trophy / 300,000 Japanese Yen
- New Face Award: Certificate / Trophy / 200,000 Japanese Yen
- Special Achievement Award: Certificate / Trophy
*Other outstanding works are selected by the Jury as Jury Selections.